Since 2000, Antonio has been teaching and mentoring nursing students at an undergraduate and postgraduate level.
He is actually contributing to the following modules:
- Ethics, law, and politics
- Person centred care
- Pathophysiology and pharmacology for nursing students
- Undergraduate and postgraduate dissertation supervisor
Antonio is also acting as external examiner at the University of Dundee and as external supervisor for a Professional Doctorate student at Anglia Ruskin University.
Antonio has successfully applied for funding, and he is currently leading on a UKRI funded project in collaboration with Prof Valerie Gladwell and Dr Noreen Cushen-Brewster. The study aims at exploring current and future healthcare professionals’ views on the use of wearable technology, and at paving the way to a more technologically advanced, effective, and efficient healthcare system.
Antonio’s research interests include:
- Clinical simulation and gamification in nursing education
- Holistic nursing
- Pain management
- Advanced technology, safety, and quality of life
- Critical care nursing
Antonio would be pleased to consider supervising doctoral students in the above mentioned areas of interest.
Peer Reviewed Articles
· Dunham, M., Bonacaro, A., Schofield, P., Bacon, L., Spyridonis, F., & Mehrpouya, H. (2021). Smartphone applications designed to o improve older people’s chronic pain management: An integrated systematic review. Geriatrics, 6(2), 40.
· Schofield, P., Dunham, M., Martin, D., Bellamy, G., Francis, S.-A., Sookhoo, D., Bonacaro, A., Hamid, E., Chandler, R., Abdulla, A., Cumberbatch, M., & Knaggs, R. (2020). Evidence-based clinical practice guidelines on the management of pain in older people – a summary report. British Journal of Pain. https://doi.org/10.1177/2049463720976155
· Ferri, P., Di Lorenzo, R., Vagnini, M., Morotti, E., Stifani, S., Jiménez Herrera, M.F., Bonacaro, A., Artioli, G., Rubbi, I. and Palese, A., 2021. Nursing student attitudes toward dying patient care: A European multicenter cross-sectional study. Acta BioMedica, 92(S2), p.e2021018.
· Carvello, M., Zanotti, F., Bacchetti, S., Rubbi, I., Bonacaro, A. (2019). Peer-Support: A Coping Strategy for Nurses Working at the Emergency Ambulance Service. Acta Bio Medica Atenei Parmensis, 90(11-S), pp.29-37.
· Rubbi, I., Pasquinelli, G., Cremonini, V., Fortunato, F., Gatti, L., Lepanto, F., Artioli, G. and Bonacaro, A. (2019). Does student orientation improve nursing image and positively influence the enrolment of nursing students in the University? An observational study. Acta Bio Medica Atenei Parmensis, 90(6-S), pp.68-77.
· Bonacaro, A., Rubbi, I., and Sookhoo, D., (2019). The Use of Wearable Devices in Preventing Hospital Readmissions and in Improving the Quality of Life of Chronic Patients in the Homecare Setting: a narrative literature review. Professioni infermieristiche, 72(2).
· Rubbi, I., Cremonini, V., Butuc, A., Cortini, C., Artioli, G., Bonacaro, A., Pasquinelli, G., (2018). Incidence and type of health care associated injuries among nursing students: a retrospective observational study. Acta bio-medica: Atenei Parmensis, ISSN: 0392-4203, Vol: 89, Issue: 7-S, Page: 41-49
· Bonacaro, A. and Sookhoo, D., 2018. Chronic Conditions and Wearable Devices: Does the Use of Modern Technologies Improve the Quality of Life in Chronic Patients? Professioni Infermieristiche, Special Issue Vol. 70.
· Bonacaro, A. and Sookhoo, D., 2017. The effectiveness and usability of wearable devices in the prevention of hospital readmission in patients with chronic conditions: a comprehensive literature review. PROSPERO. [online] Available at: https://doi.org/10.13140/RG.2.2.29192.83200/1[Accessed 5 Apr 2017].
· Bonacaro, A. and Morgan, L., 2016. Simulated mindfulness meditation: a major breakthrough in the management of chronic pain. Pain Nursing Magazine. [online] Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.19190/PNM2016.1ra38 [Accessed 5 Apr 2017].
· Rubbi, I., Cremonini, V., Allegri, N., Ferri, P. and Bonacaro, A., 2016. Pain Assessment in Cognitively Impaired Elderly Patients Through the Use of the PAINAD Scale. A Prospective Observational Study in Two Nursing Homes. Pain Nursing Magazine. [online] Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.19190/PNM2016.1ao22 [Accessed 5 Apr 2017].
· Bonacaro, A., 2015. Medical Errors: A Serious Issue in the Middle Eastern Countries Can Simulation be an effective solution? Arab Health Magazine. [online] Available at: http://www.arabhealthmagazine.com/press-releases/2015/issue-4/medical-errors-a-serious-issue-in-the-middle-eastern-countries-can-simulation-be-an-effective-solution/ [Accessed 5 Apr 2017].
· Zaccaro, A. and Bonacaro, A., 2015. Regional Cardiac Network: the Experience at the Emergency Medical Service 118 in the Basilicata Region in Italy. International Journal of Research – Granthaalayah, 3(5), pp.95-110.
· Bonacaro, A., Sookhoo, D. (2019). The Impact of Mindfulness Meditation on Anxiety and Clinical Practice Accuracy in Adult Nursing Students in Simulated Learning: Preliminary Results of a Primary Research Study. In: S3 2019 "Beyond The Now: Transforming Healthcare Simulation". Singapore, 22-25 October 2019. [oral and poster presentation]
· Bonacaro, A., Sookhoo, D. (2019). Improving the Quality of Simulated Learning Experience through Mindfulness Meditation. In: Anglia Learning and Teaching Conference 2019. Cambridge, UK, 25 June 2019. [oral presentation]
· Bellamy G, Francis SA, Abdulla A, Bonacaro A, Chandler R, Cumberbatch M, Dunham M, Hamid E, Knaggs R, Schofield P, Sookhoo D. (2019) Ageing and society: what does the research literature articulate about informal carers' experiences who provide support for older family members living with chronic pain? In: Pain in Europe XI: the 11th Congress of the European Pain Federation EFIC. Valencia, Spain: 4-7 September 2019. [poster]
· Cumberbatch M, Abdulla A, Knaggs R, Francis SA, Bellamy G, Bonacaro A, Chandler R, Dunham M, Hamid E, Schofield P, Sookhoo D. (2019). Evidence review to guide the pharmacological management of chronic pain in older adults in the UK. In: Pain in Europe XI: the 11th Congress of the European Pain Federation EFIC. Valencia, Spain: 4-7 September 2019. [e-poster]
· Cumberbatch M, Knaggs R, Abdulla A, Francis SA, Bellamy G, Bonacaro A, Chandler R, Dunham M, Hamid E, Schofield P, Sookhoo D. (2019). Evidence- based guidance on the pharmacological management of chronic pain in older adults in the UK. In: Pain in Europe XI: the 11th Congress of the European Pain Federation EFIC. Valencia, Spain: 4-7 September 2019. [e-poster]
· Bonacaro, A., Sookhoo, D. (2017). Chronic Conditions and Wearable Devices: Does the Use of Modern Technologies Improve Quality of Life in Chronic Patients? In: Conferenza Nazionale CNAI 2017. Ravenna, Italy, 19-21 October 2017.
· Bonacaro, A., Samuel, A. and Brownie, S. (2015). Patient Safety and Quality of Care: Can Simulation Meet the Needs of the Healthcare System As Well As Those of Academic World? In: Dubai Healthcare City, 2nd UAE Clinical Simulation Conference. Dubai, United Arab Emirates, 25-26 February 2015.
· Bonacaro, A., (2014). One Set Of Vital Signs Isn’t Enough! In: ESEM, ESEM 2014 Scientific Conference. Dubai, 5-9 December 2014.
· Bonacaro, A. and Brownie, S. (2014). Sudden Cardiac Death and Nursing Education: The Students’ Perception of the Role of Simulation. In: HPSN, HPSN Europe 2014. Istanbul, Turkey, 16-18 October 2014.
Autilio, M., Bonacaro, A., et al. (2002). Quantitative evaluation of data coming from triage procedures in the Casualty and Emergency Department of San Carlo Civil Hospital Potenza – Italy. In: 1st International Conference of Triage Nurses. Turin, Italy 28-30 November 2002.
Antonio has developed, at a concept stage, a pro-active home health management system aiming at reducing strain on the NHS from hospital readmissions. The system, when tested, would potentially save resources, and improve patients’ outcomes by preventing emergency situations before they occur. He is actively looking for commercial partners to convert his concept into a functional prototype.
Antonio is currently leading on two research projects in collaboration with the University of Bologna, Italy, the University of West Attica, Greece and Kingston University London, UK.
The projects aim at:
- Assessing the Therapeutic Effects of Melissa Officinalis Essential Oil and Massage on the Quality of Life of Patients’ Affected by Alzheimer’s disease
- Exploring nursing students’ attitudes on caring for people living with HIV/AIDS
Both studies imply mixed methods which includes quantitative as well as qualitative approaches.
- Reviewer for the Journal of Clinical Nursing
- Registered Nurse and Educator, Nursing and Midwifery Council
- Registered Nurse, Ordine delle Professioni Infermieristiche (Italian Nursing Council)
- Fellow, Higher Education Academy
- Associate Teaching Fellow, Anglia Ruskin University
- Member, European Academy of Nursing Science
- Systematic Reviewer, Joanna Briggs Institute