Dr Amanda Hodgkinson
Associate Professor English and Creative Writing, Associate Dean for Research and Knowledge Exchange (School of Social Sciences and Humanities)
Dr Amanda Hodgkinson SFHEA is an award-winning internationally published novelist, journalist and writer. Her writing research focuses on the representation of family relationships and narrative identity with a focus on historical fiction and the importance of place, and the role of memory in writing fiction and poetry.
Amanda teaches Creative Writing Workshops, Modernism, Autobiography and Life Writing, Narrative Theory, Historical Fiction, The Writer in Residence and the Dissertation Programme for the MA. She supervises Creative Writing PhDs, and English Literature dissertations for both Undergraduate and Postgraduate. Her pedagogical research interests in teaching are in entrepreneurial education and student-centred experiential learning.
Selected publications (see ORCID ID: 0000-0001-6166-0975 for full listing)
Research interests include historical fiction, the novel, literary fiction, storytelling, the short story and the role of memory, history, affective landscape and a sense of place and time in narrative. Amanda is passionate about working with writers, helping them to realise their creative projects.
- Hodgkinson A, 'Critical Thinking and Creative Writing in the Hybrid Workshop', in Smith, C. and Fosbraey, G. (eds.) Reflective Teaching in Higher Education. Bloomsbury (forthcoming)
- Hodgkinson A, in Dix, H. and Howells A. (eds.) (2022) ‘Swimming: a poem’ in Creative Approaches to Social Work Practice Learning. St Albans: Critical Publishing.
- Hodgkinson A (2021) ‘Tin Town’ in Grand Central, Original Stories of Post-war Love and Reunion. Dressler Poland (Hardback, ebook, audio book, Paperback)
- Hodgkinson, A. (2020) Introduction and foreword: Women’s Voices KDP. USA
- Hodgkinson, A. (2019) ‘Saving Himself’ Visual Verse. (V6) Visualverse.org
- Hodgkinson, A. (2018) Rose et ses Sœurs Pocket. Paris. France. Paperback and ebook.
- Hodgkinson, A. (2016) ‘On seeing his narrowboat for the first time’ in Words and Focus Hurtwood Press UK.
- Hodgkinson, A. (2014) Spilt Milk. Fig Tree, Penguin Random House London. (Paperback, ebook and audio book)
- Hodgkinson, A. (2014) Gedane Zaken. Bruna. Holland (Paperback, ebook, large print, audio)
- Hodgkinson, A. (2014) Le Sorelle Marsh (2014) Sperling and Kupfer. Italy. (Hardback, paperback and ebook)
- Hodgkinson, A. (2014) ‘Tin Town’ in Grand Central, Original Stories of Post-war Love and Reunion. Berkeley USA. (Hardback, ebook and audio book)
- Hodgkinson, A. (2011) 22 Britannia Road. Fig tree Penguin Random House. (Translated into 16 languages, in hardback, paperback, ebook, audio book, large print, braille)
- Hodgkinson, A. (2007) 'The Tree House' in Anderson, L. (ed) The Open University Creative Writing Handbook Routledge.
Writing and journalism:
Radio, UK journals, magazines and newspapers. Short stories and poetry in anthologies, literary magazines and journals including, ‘Women’s Weekly Summer Short Story Editions,’ The Mail on Sunday. The Daily Mail, The Telegraph, The Observer, The Times, Channel Four’s A Place in the Sun, The Lady, France Magazine, La Dépêche du Midi.
- Springcleaning: Poetry as Architecture (June 2022) Symposium for the London Festival of Architecture: The Royal Academy of Arts. London.
- The Dance of Critical Thinking and Creative Writing (March 2021) National Association of Writers in Education.
Springcleaning: a site-responsive installation of poetry and audio art. (April 2022) Bodfa Continuum: Anglesey, Wales.
‘Ouvrage d’Arles’, France, 1st July – 15th August 2017
I regularly give talks on writing in the UK and in Europe. I offer writing workshops, mentoring, and promote literature, reading and creative writing through our writing community at University of Suffolk and in the wider community. I make worthwhile and meaningful connections between the craft of writing and the importance of storytelling skills in business and for personal well-being. I judge literary competitions and develop creative writing projects for exhibitions and publishing.
Senior Fellow HEA
National Association of Writers in Education
Society of Authors
QAA Membership Advisory Body.
European Association of Creative Writing Programmes
Historical Novel Society