BFI Film Academy Short Course - Ipswich
BREAK INTO FILM
Are you 16-19? Passionate about film? Interested in a career in the film industry?
If so, the BFI Film Academy is for you!
Our BFI Film Academy short course is an introductory, hands-on filmmaking course designed to build knowledge and skills while also introducing the different pathways into the industry. It is a fast-paced, fun, and practical filmmaking experience designed for young people with a demonstrable interest and/or experience in film.
BFI short courses have an excellent track record of inspiring the next generation of filmmakers and crew. It is a well-respected and recognised stepping stone towards further education, training and employment.
Participants can expect:
- To engage in a combination of workshops, practical skills development and film analysis sessions in order to learn the fundamentals of filmmaking.
- To make a short film with support and tutoring from industry professionals and film academics.
- The opportunity to meet and work alongside industry professionals from across disciplines, including screenwriting and directing through to cinematography, sound design, editing and camera.
- To meet (and begin to network with) other young film fans from across the region.
- To achieve an NCFE Level 2 Award in Preparing to Work in the Film Industry.
- To become part of the Film Academy alumni network and gain access to exclusive opportunities.
The short course will be delivered at the University of Suffolk’s Ipswich campus where BFI students will use the newly refurbished film facilities, which include a large, multi-purpose film studio, an editing suite, a 5.1 surround sound audio studio, and a colour grading suite. Students will also have the opportunity to use industry-standard kit such as Sony, Blackmagic and ARRI ALEXA Mini LF cameras.
More about BFI Film Academy and further opportunities.
In order to apply for any BFI Film Academy short course, you must:
- Be aged 16-19 years on the first day of the course.
- Be a UK resident.
- Have a passion or talent for filmmaking and an ambition to work in the film industry.
- Be able to commit to the duration of the course.
- Not currently be at university or enrolled at university when the course starts.
Courses cost £25 BUT cost ought not to be a barrier. Please contact us, as bursaries and financial assistance are available. See here for who can apply for bursaries.
Schools, colleges and youth groups who would like to arrange a FREE introductory session from our team can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
How to apply:
Dates: Autumn Half Term – Saturday 21st October to Friday 27th October 2023
Course hours: 10am to 5pm daily Location: Atrium Building, University of Suffolk, Ipswich (Link to Map and Directions)
Applications close: Midnight 2nd October 2023.
BFI Film Academy short course is supported by a range of partners including the Department for Education, the National Lottery, Northern Ireland Screen and Screen Scotland.