Gurpreet is the Pro Vice-Chancellor Business and Entrepreneurship at the University of Suffolk, with responsibility for Suffolk Business School, driving business engagement across the institution and region and leading the development of enterprise and entrepreneurship. Gurpreet has spent the last 15 years working in universities across the UK, in roles predominantly focussing on business engagement, innovation and entrepreneurship. Blurring boundaries between education and business is Gurpreet’s passion, exploring ways that they can come together to ensure the needs of business are being met and graduates are equipped with the skills and knowledge to make a positive impact on society. Gurpreet joined the University of Suffolk from UWE Bristol where he was the Professor and Director of the Institute for Enterprise and Entrepreneurship.
Prior to this, Gurpreet was Director of Research, Enterprise and Innovation at London South Bank University (LSBU), and CEO of South Bank University Enterprises Ltd (SBUEL) where his main responsibilities included the strategic and day-to-day operations for research and enterprise activities. At LSBU, and in a relatively short period of time, he has established an award-winning research and enterprise centre culminating in LSBU successfully securing the crown as The Times Higher Award for Entrepreneurial University of the Year.
He joined LSBU in September 2014 from University College, London (UCL) where he served as Deputy Director for UCL Advances with strategic oversight of enterprise and small business engagement activities. Previous to that he worked at University of Birmingham where he spent two years designing and delivering postgraduate and graduate enterprise programmes and held operational responsibility for the enterprise team.
Previous to that Gurpreet spent six years at Birmingham City University supporting Staff and Student Enterprise and knowledge transfer activities including working closely with Advantage West Midlands on the Birmingham Science City programme in the area of Digital Media and ICT – investing over £2m in flagship Digital Demonstrator projects.
Gurpreet was the 2016/17 chair for Enterprise Educators UK, a UK national network of 117 universities dedicated to supporting their member institutions in increasing the scale, scope and effectiveness of enterprise and entrepreneurship education and practice. Gurpreet was also a board member of the Association of Research Managers and Administrators, UK
- DBA: Higher Education Management (Candidate)
- MBA: Master of Business Administration (2012)
- MSc: Real Estate Management (2008)
- BA (Hons): Combined Studies and Business Information Management (2003)
- MBTI Certified Practitioner
- ILM Certificate in People Management (2011)
- Level 2 BTEC Certificate: Introduction to Life Coaching Skills (2009)
- University of the West of England, Bristol (Jul 2018 – Apr 2020)
- Professor and Director of the Institute for Enterprise and Entrepreneurship and Director Bristol Business Engagement Centre
- Professor and Director of the Aldridge Institute for Enterprise
- London South Bank University and South Bank University Enterprises Ltd (Sep 2014 – May 2018)
- Director Research, Enterprise and Innovation, and CEO South Bank University Enterprises Ltd
- Interim Director of Enterprise, and CEO South Bank University Enterprises Ltd
- University College London (Sep 2012 – Aug 2014)
- Deputy Director – UCL Advances
- University of Birmingham (June 2009 – August 2012)
- Postgraduate Enterprise Consultant and Operations Manager
- Projects Development Manager
- Project Manager – Talent Pool
- UCE Birmingham, now Birmingham City University, (Sep 2003 – May 2009)
- Business Development Manager
- Knowledge Transfer Systems Manager
- Information Systems Coordinator
KNOWLEDGE EXCHANGE ACTIVITY
- Innovation Director – Royal Academy of Engineering Leaders in Innovation Fellowships Cohort 6, UWE Bristol, ChangeSchool and Mowgli Mentoring (Feb 2020 – Mar 2021)
- Project Lead – British Council Creative Spark Higher Education Enterprise Programme, UWE Bristol and Ilia State University (Sep 2018 – Jun 2020)
- Project Lead – British Council Colombia Higher Education Partnership for Entrepreneurship, UWE Bristol and ChangeSchool (Sep 2019 – Feb 2020)