Joanna joined the University of Suffolk Graduate School in August 2021 and is responsible for supporting PGR students at all stages of their PhD journey.
Joining Suffolk, Joanna brought with her a wealth of HE experience from her role as Personal Assistant to the Dean of the Faculty of Sciences at the University of Kent from 2006. Joanna's career background includes other roles as Personal Assistant and in Human Resources when she worked at Ericsson in Abu Dhabi, and Invensys plc. Joanna has also taught English in Auxerre, France.
Joanna has a BA (Hons) in Humanities and English Language, and has recently been awarded a Certificate in Counselling.
Joanna's responsibilities include:
- Processing PhD enquiries from application through to interview
- Organising PhD inductions
- Organising and managing the recruitment processes for Studentships
- Organising and managing PGR applications for Ethical approval
- Coordinating queries from PhD students and their supervisors to relevant University departments
- Liaising with partner institutions i.e. Universities of East Anglia, Essex and Brighton
- Maintaining PGR student records and databases
- Coordinating the annual Researcher Development Programme and publishing and managing the events throughout the year
- Monthly and quarterly reporting
- Processing Supervisor applications and maintaining training records
Joanna is also Committee Secretary to the following University Committees
- PGR Research Ethics Committee (monthly)
- PGR Research Committee (meets three times per year)
- Research Supervisory Board Panel - University of Essex (annually - or more frequently when required)
Joanna is the Graduate School representative on the following Committees
- Student Experience Committee
- International Office Committee
Joanna has another role at the University of Suffolk as Directorate Administrator in the Directorate of Learning and Teaching, working for Aaron Burrell, and working closely with Andrew Revitt, and the Learning Design and ASA/MSA Teams.