Gloria Picton has been a Language Lecturer at the University of Suffolk since 2007 in the Event and Tourism Management and in Business Management degree programmes within the Business School.
She is highly experienced and has been a Spanish teacher since 1995 with knowledge of numerous programmes. Prior to this she was working in the main UK branch of Banco Bilbao Vizcaya Argentaria in London where her role was translation and interpreting and acting as liaison between the UK and Spanish banking cultures.
Presently she conducts Spanish programmes for several external companies such as Professional Language Solutions Ltd London supplying language training to various United Kingdom central government departments such as Cabinet Office, Home Office, Department of International Trade, HM Revenue and Customs, Department for International Development, DExEU and international companies. She also provides business language training to companies in the Business services sector like KPMG who require specialist corporate language training.
In her role as a Spanish language lecturer and Module leader for Cross Cultural Communication, she is fully responsible for most module content. The aims are to provide the language skills needed but also to provide a comprehensive background of culture and history including a holistic picture of the country. The British Academy has recognised the lack of business graduates with language skills; in turn this affects their ability to compete in the international market. Gloria strives to ensure that her teaching style and methods will provide students with the best business opportunities for the future. Students are provided with cultural sensibility and awareness which is an essential skill in the globalised world. She offers students the opportunity to truly experience the Spanish culture and learn the language in an innovative way through her enthusiastic teaching and the chance for students to visit Spain.
- Adult Mental Health Aware, MHFA (2018)
- Certificate in Online Tutoring (COLT), International House, London (2016)
- European Language Teaching Qualification, CTLA , International House, London. (2014)
- Spanish ELE teaching qualification by IL3 Universitat de Barcelona (2014)
- Mandarin Chinese Language and Culture module at the University of Essex (2011) - these credits can be counted towards a Diploma of Higher Education in Modern Languages.
- Curious Vitae (2020 to date) Cooperative Employee well being program
Spanish tutor – develop and deliver courses for corporate clients, as part of wider Sociable Learning employee engagement programme.
- CLASS - Culture, Language and Spoken Spanish - (2016- to date)
Company founder. Offering Spanish language and culture courses and private tuition for all ages. Offering Live Online lessons via Zoom, Skype and Google Meet for individuals and small groups.
- Professional Language Solutions Ltd London. (2009-to date)
Spanish tutor for one of the UK’s largest suppliers of corporate language training. The role is to develop, deliver and assess a tailored course to the learner’s needs.
- Suffolk Country Council, Community Learning department. Stowmarket (2009-2013)
Develop and deliver Spanish Leisure Course for adults
- Port of Felixstowe (2007)
Set up and deliver Spanish Business course for beginners for the Senior directors.
- BBC Radio Suffolk (2005 - 2006) with presenters Rachael Sloane and then Nick Pandolfi:
Developed and delivered a radio course for learning Spanish language, based on live speaking and listening - beginner’s level.
- GMC Languages (2006 -2015)
Co-founded and run Spanish and French leisure courses for adults
- Ipswich Town Football Club (2001 – 2004)
Customised course for footballers who wanted to converse in Spanish and for Spanish footballers who wanted to learn some English.
- Suffolk College (2001-2007)
Spanish Language Teacher NOCN Level 1 and 2 GCSE years 1 and 2. CBLC Entry Level. HND Travel and Tourism (Spanish beginners). Foundation degree Event and Management (Spanish and culture)
- Felixstowe International College, Felixstowe. (2000-01)
Introduction to Spanish for South Korean non English speakers
- Secondary School and Six Form- St Joseph’s College, Ipswich. 2000
Spanish A Level conversation
- Primary School- Ilford Preparatory School, East London. (1996-1999)
Teaching Spanish as a foreign language to pupils from years 3, 4, 5, and 6.
- Spanish Bank- BBV Argentaria Bank, Cannon Street London. (1989-94)
Worked in Correspondence, Accounting, Commercial and Finance departments. Also helped to plan, organise and host the 50th Anniversary of the Bank in London in the Banquet House with assistance of the presidents of all the major Banks in London as well as the Ambassadors from different countries and other important Spanish authorities.
TEACHING & LEARNING ACTIVITY
- Cross Culture Communication, Spanish Language - First year undergraduate.
- Cross Culture Communication, Spanish Language II – Second year undergraduate.
- Personal tutor.
- Intercultural communication.
- Develop and implement innovative practices in teaching and learning.
- Motivation in second-language learning.
- How the brain stores and retrieves language.
- The interrelationships between language and culture.
KNOWLEDGE EXCHANGE ACTIVITY ~
- Erasmus+ KA2 Strategic Partnership Project for Higher Education under the 2017 call for proposals. The 3Economy+ Project, coordinated by the University of Granada, The Polytechnic Institute of Portalegre and the University of Malta are participating as project partners. (2019,2020)
- Erasmus+ Staff Mobility program (2019) to Faculty of Economic, Tourism and Business of the University of la Laguna, Tenerife, Spain.
AWARDS AND HONOURS
- University of Suffolk (2018, 2020)
Nominations for Best Personal Tutor and Most Inspiring Lecturer
- Departmental ‘champion’ appointed for Technology Enhancement (TEL) for the Business School (2016/17)
- Honorary Advisor of University Campus Suffolk Spanish Society (2016) appointed by the students.
- New Horizons Award (2005) for part-time teachers in FE nominee for Suffolk College