Ellen is Director of Learning and Teaching, and leads the Centre for Excellence in Learning and Teaching and the Department of Library and Learning Services.
Ellen studied Italian at Royal Holloway University of London, followed by an MA in Information Management at the University of West London. After qualifying as a professional Librarian, Ellen began work at the Veterinary Laboratories Agency (now the Animal and Plant Health Agency) working as Assistant and Deputy Librarian, Crown Copyright Officer and Webmaster. After a few years, Ellen moved to Cornwall and began work at the University of Falmouth leading library services for the Tremough Campus and for students at the University of Exeter Cornwall Campus.
Since moving to Suffolk, Ellen has worked as both Library Services Manager and Head of Learning Services. She has also recently been awarded her Doctorate in Education. She is a Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
Ellen’s recent interests focus on engagement with learning, creation of identity, widening participation, and aspiration. She is also interested in how creative and innovative learning design, students as co-creators and technology can be used to increase access to and participation in education at all levels.
She has recently led a HEFCE funded project to develop blended learning Degree Apprenticeships and the implementation of the new institutional Online Learning Environment. She is currently working with colleagues to gain greater insights into barriers for learning engagement, achievement and progression.
Current PhD students:
- Maureen Garrett, Thesis title: Delivering lifelong learning in Suffolk Libraries Associate Supervisor with Dr Sarah Richards and Dr Allison Boggis, University of Suffolk.
- Buck, E. and Burrell, A. (2019) ‘Creating an Environment for Change’, Leading Change in HE - Advance HE, Cambridge, June 2019.
- Buck, E (2018) ‘The value of modern technology in delivering degree apprenticeships’, University Business Live Panel Discussion, Bristol, October 2018.
- Lister, R., Corcoran, S. and Buck, E. (2018) ‘Are we there yet? Developing the University of Suffolk’, Organisational Development in HE Residential Meeting, Coventry, June 2018.
- Buck, E., Hawley. C. and Pennie, L. (2017) ‘Tangled up in Suffolk: untangling self, other and organisation to be the University of Suffolk’, AUA Annual Conference, Manchester, April 2017.