Research Dissertation (Level 6)
Independent Project (Level 6)
Social Work Research (Level 5)
Social Change and Social Justice in Social Work (Level 4)
Personal Academic Coach and Placement Tutor
• Creative & Relationship-based Social Work
• Child Sexual Abuse (CSA), Domestic Abuse & Trauma
• Practice Education
• Student & Lived Experience involvement in Social Work Education
• Narrative & Storytelling
• Research Project Team (2023-current) – Evaluation of Restitute
• Research Project Team (2022-current) – Retaining practice educators in Suffolk and Norfolk: Supporting continuity and developing expertise and confidence in practice education
• Research Project Team (2021 - current) - ‘Influential Others’ – supporting leadership capabilities in health and social care
• PhD Student (2019-current) - Exploring narratives of mothers whose children have experienced sexual abuse in and around the family
• Narrative Approaches
• Qualitative Research
• Research Methods
• Feminist Theory
Selected publications (see ORCID ID: 0000-0003-4226-8339 for full listing)
Dix, H. and Howells, A. (2022) Creative Approaches to Social Work Practice Learning. St Albans: Critical Publishing.
Howells, A. (2022) Restorying Trauma in Clark, J., Richards, S. and Vine, T. (ed.) Stories, Storytellers and Storytelling. London: Palgrave Macmillan.
Dix, H. and Howells, A. (2022) Purpose, Position, Power and Rights in Dix, H. and Howells, A. (ed.) Creative Approaches to Social Work Practice Learning. St Albans: Critical Publishing.
Howells, A. (2019) IDEAS, Domestic Abuse & Social Work in Dix, H, Hollinrake, S. and Meade, J. (ed.) Relationship-based Social Work with Adults. St Albans: Critical Publishing Ltd.
Howells, A., Walters, S., Duckett, N., Barker, S., Clarke-Emmerson, S., Darke, J., Johnson, J., Meggs, C. and Reeve, S. (2022) ‘Is Gold Dust to My Mind’: Exploring Lived Experience in Social Work Education, The British Journal of Social Work, doi: https://doi.org/10.1093/bjsw/bcac218 (Open Access) https://academic.oup.com/bjsw/advance-article/doi/10.1093/bjsw/bcac218/6858610
Howells, A. and Bald, C. (2020) “'This is my oasis’: an exploration of student hub support for social work students’ wellbeing". Social Work Education. DOI: 10.1080/02615479.2020.1861242. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/02615479.2020.1861242
Bald, C. and Howells, A. (2019) Professionalising social work education without losing our soul: A critical reflection on the role and purpose of practice placements in the context of Teaching Partnerships, Journal of Practice Teaching and Learning, 15 (3).
Howells, A. and SWV (2023) Presenting Lived Experience in Social Work education: ‘Is Gold Dust to My Mind’, The Joint Social Work Education and Research Conference (JSWEC), University of Strathclyde, 14-16.6.2023.
Howells, A. (2021) Rights, not ‘gifts’ of support in statutory social work, European Conference on Domestic Violence, Slovenia, 13.9.21-15.9.21.
Bald, C. and Howells, A. (2020) The 4 Cs Model of Wellbeing Education: Exploring support for social work students’ wellbeing and development of professional resilience, The Joint Social Work Education and Research Conference (JSWEC), Online, 9.7.21-10.7.21.
Howells, A. (2019) Domestic Abuse and Social Work – a Relationship-Based Framework for Practice, ASYE County Day Developing relationship-based social work practice. Ipswich, 19 November 2019.
Howells, A. (2019) Student Hubs: an evaluation of the support for social work students’ well-being and development of professional resilience in a Teaching Partnership, Learning and Teaching Day. University of Suffolk, 22 May 2019.
Howells, A. and Bald, C. (2019) “This is my Oasis”: personal and collective approaches to developing professional resilience using mindfulness and the student hubs model (Presentation), Guild HE Wellbeing in Higher Education Symposium. Woburn House, Euston, 21 May 2019.
• Delivery of On-site Supervisor Training
• Delivery of Recognising & Responding to Domestic Abuse (Victim/Survivor-led) CPD/Training
Interests & Skills
• Practice Education & On-site Supervisor Consultancy & Training
• Domestic Abuse Consultancy & Training
• CSA Consultancy & Training
• Community Research with children, families and individuals
• Social Media Champion for Social Work
• Domestic Abuse Champion
• Mental Health First Aider
• Peer reviewer for internationally recognised social work journals and books
• Research publications have reach and impact nationally and internationally
Professional Bodies and Membership
• Higher Education Academy Senior Fellow (SFHEA)
• Social Work England (SWE)
• British Association of Social Workers (BASW)