The sixth annual Suffolk Adult Learners Awards has taken place at University Campus Suffolk.
Suffolk groups and individuals were recognised for their hard work and outstanding achievements over the past year.
The Awards, hosted by BBC Radio Suffolk presenter and UCS Honorary Graduate, Mark Murphy, named 18 Army Education Centre Wattisham as the winner of winners and Bruce MacGregor was recognised as providing Outstanding Services to Adult Education and Training in Suffolk.
New for this year in recognition of the hard work of tutors, lecturers, and others involved in adult learning in Suffolk and the time it takes to submit an inspiring nomination, there was be a prize for the person who nominated the Outstanding Learner(s) 2016. This went to Kelly-Zed Spencer at Wattisham AEC.
The Awards were organised by Leap with the support of University Campus Suffolk (UCS), the Suffolk Adult Learning Federation (SALF) and Suffolk County Council. Adnams were the award ceremony drink sponsor.
Miles Cole, Leap Project Manager, said These Awards celebrate the commitment shown by tutors, volunteers, providers and learners while demonstrating the impact adult learning has on the lives of individuals. Every year it gets more and more difficult to choose between those nominated, everyone is doing such fantastic work and these awards, now in the 6th year, is just one way this can be recognised. It can be for any kind of learning, it doesnt have to be formal learning with qualifications.
The full list of winners are:
- Learning in the Digital Age sponsored by BT- iSounds Project nominated by Joe Bailey at IO Radio
- Learning Project of the Year sponsored by Eastern Enterprise Hub- Ipswich Integration Team nominated by Phanuel Mutumburi from Ipswich & Suffolk Council for Racial Equality.
- Inspirational Learner of the Year sponsored by Suffolk Adult Learning Federation- Keely Mitchell nominated by Frances Veness from WS Training
- Outstanding Family Learners of the Year sponsored by Realise Futures- Elizabeth & Olivia Draper nominated by Tina Godbold at Realise Futures.
- Tutor of the Year sponsored by West Suffolk College- Bernadette White who was nominated by Claire Strath, Realise Futures
- Volunteer of the Year sponsored by Suffolk New College- Craig Clackett nominated by Gill Corke from West Suffolk College Sudbury Learning Centre
- Health and Wellbeing Learner of the Year sponsored by Public Health Suffolk- Our winner is Creative Heritage In Mind, nominated by Sheila Eaton and Kardine Wells
- Learning at Work sponsored by Suffolk Chamber of Commerce- 18 Army Education Centre Wattisham nominated by Kelly-Zed Spencer at Wattisham AEC
- Arts and Cultural Learning sponsored by Lowestoft College- Colchester & Ipswich Museums Trainees nominated by Rachel Macfarlane at Ipswich Museum
In addition there were two further awards
- Outstanding Services to Adult Education and Training in Suffolk sponsored by Leap- Bruce MacGregor
- Outstanding Learner of the Year sponsored by University Campus Suffolk- 18 Army Education Centre Wattisham
Winners received a trophy, certificate and book tokens.