Care Leavers Bursary 2023-24
Students starting at University of Suffolk in academic year 2023-24 who are living in, or having previously lived in, local authority care, could be eligible for a Care Leavers Bursary.
The start of an academic year varies and are in line with the course start month. Successful applicants will receive up to a £500 bursary in each academic year of study (for a maximum of 3 years, dependant on successful progression and continuing to meet eligibility criteria) This bursary is assessed every year.
To be eligible for the Care Leavers Bursary 2023-24, you must meet all the following criteria:
- Be a new student to the University of Suffolk in 2023-24 (students who have previously studied at the University will not be eligible)
- Be studying full time or part time (studying at least 50% of the full time equivalent) towards a Foundation/Bachelor or Integrated master’s degree.
- Be paying tuition fees of £8,220 (Foundation degree), £9,250 (Bachelor’s/Integrated master’s degree), £11,100 (Accelerated degree) or £6,168 (HNC/ HND)
- Be in the first year of your course.
- Have lived in Local Authority Care and been assessed as a Care Leaver by the Student Loan Company
- Have been assessed by the University as a “Home” fee paying student (Overseas students are not eligible for this bursary)
- Be in continued attendance on the course on which you enrolled as at the date of payment.
- Students enrolled on Apprenticeships, CPD and SCITT courses are not eligible for this bursary.
- Students whose tuition fees are covered by their employer (sponsored) are not eligible for this bursary.
The closing date for applications is based on the month in which your course started.
|Course Start Month||Application Deadline|
Awards are expected to be paid in two equal instalments, based on the month in which your course started.
|Course Start Month||Bursary Payment Dates (last working day)|
|September 2023||Feb and May 2024|
|October 2023||Feb and May 2024|
|November 2023||Feb and May 2024|
|December 2023||Feb and May 2024|
|January 2024||May and Aug 2024|
|February 2024||May and Aug 2024|
|March 2024||May and Aug 2024|
|April 2024||Oct 2024 and Feb 2025|
|May 2024||Oct 2024 and Feb 2025|
|June 2024||Feb and May 2025|
|July 2024||Feb and May 2025|
|August 2024||Feb and May 2025|