You are here

Money Advice


Your entitlement to benefits could change when you enrol as a student.

Enrolling at university needs to be declared to relevant authorities such as the Department for Work and Pensions, and HMRC, if you are in receipt of benefits.

You may need to get advice from our local advice and guidance specialists to be fully informed about your benefit entitlement whilst studying here at Suffolk.

Please find a list below of recommended specialists:

Gaining advice around your benefit situation

Disabled Students Allowance

Please take a look at the Disabled Students' Allowances (DSAs) for more information.

Housing Advice

  • Council Tax exemption/discount for eligible full-time students – forms are available at the Infozone after enrolment.
  • Ipswich Housing Action Group (covers Suffolk only) – speak to IHAG if you have concerns about your housing, accommodation or personal finance. 

Be money-ready for university – Blackbullion

  • To find out about student loans and preparing for university, check out Blackbullion
  • If you are an applicant, or a parent of an applicant, please speak to our helpful Infozone Advisers to login into the platform.

Educational grants

  • Turn2Us – benefit and grant search
  • University of Suffolk Bursary
  • Please contact the Infozone and Admissions for information on latest bursary offers.
  • Financial Support Fund is a limited means assessed fund provided by University of Suffolk to assist eligible students in financial difficulty. Please find more about this fund and how it runs at one of our many Open Events. 

Tax and students

Unsure if you should be paying tax as a student? Take a look at the government advice for concise and useful information and frequently asked questions.