You are here

Staff Default Image

Getting Ready to Move into Accommodation

10 Jan 2019 11:30AM


If you will shortly be moving into student accommodation, you may find the information below of interest.

Keep an Accommodation Folder

There are many important documents you will be given when renting accommodation, you may find it useful to keep a folder to keep them all safe and in one place.

Keep a copy of your tenancy agreement, in case you need to refer to it during your tenancy; this will contain all of the terms and conditions of the tenancy that you have agreed to, including rental amounts and start/end dates. At the start of your tenancy agreement you should complete an inventory with the landlord, make sure you keep a signed copy safe as you will need to go through it again at the end of the tenancy agreement. You might also find photos taken at the start of the tenancy showing any existing marks or damage useful at the end of the tenancy agreement so you can prove it was like that when you got there.

When you pay your deposit, your landlord has 14 days to protect it with one of the deposit protection services. You may be asked to choose a PIN number which you must keep safe as you will need it when it comes to agreeing the amount of deposit to be returned to you at the end of the tenancy agreement.  Your landlord must provide you with details of which scheme they have used, put this in your folder too.

Should you need to report any maintenance issues whilst in your accommodation, it is advisable to do this in writing such as in an email, and keep a copy in case you need to follow up on it at a later date.

Book a Moving-In Slot

It is important to arrange with your landlord when you will be moving into your accommodation to make sure there will be someone to meet you, give you the keys and show you around the property. You should arrange a day and time so you both know when you will be arriving.

The University of Suffolk recommends you move into your accommodation the weekend before your Induction Week, which can be found on the Applicant Area of our website under the Welcome 2018/19 section. Should you need to move in at any other time, you should discuss this direct with your landlord.

Parking is not available at most accommodation, so check with the landlord if parking is available outside or nearby for unloading, and if there are any restrictions such as time limits or ticketing in force.


If anything is not right with the property, a chipped or marked surface, broken or missing items etc. this is where you need to record it.

Deductions from your deposit may be made for any damages or breakages you are responsible for. If it was like that when you got there, make sure you can prove it!

Contents Insurance

You might not think you need to worry about contents insurance, but it can be very important to protect your possessions against theft and accidental damage. If your laptop breaks, it could be expensive to replace without having insurance to assist you.

Contents insurance need not be expensive; Ensleigh are the provider recommended by the NUS, but you may find it useful to shop around. Some accommodation providers will include contents insurance for free, so check with your landlord if you will need to arrange your own insurance.

Not yet arranged your accommodation?

If you require accommodation in Ipswich and have not yet started looking, there is still time.  See the on-campus (Ipswich only) and off-campus sections of our website to get started.  Find information about properties we recommend, and useful advice when choosing your accommodation.

If you have any questions about any of the above, you can contact the Infozone on 01473 338833,, or in person in the Waterfront Building, Ipswich.