The University of Suffolk in Ipswich is able to offer an exam hosting service for external exam candidates from other universities and institutions. We use invigilators who are experienced in following university procedure and can ensure the safety of your examination paper.
Exams can normally only be held during working office hours. If you require to sit your exam outside of working hours, please contact the Exams team to see if your request can be accommodated. We are unable to hold any exams on public bank holidays or during the University’s Christmas closure period.
Exams will be held at our campus in Ipswich, usually within the Waterfront Building. Further details about our location are available on the Find Us page.
There is a fee of £25 per hour, rounded up to the next whole hour. So, as an example, a candidate sitting a 2.5-hour exam would be charged for 3 hours (total £75). This fee covers room, invigilation and administrative costs.
Please note that all fees must be paid prior to sitting your examination.
We are happy to accommodate candidates with reasonable adjustments and can arrange an invigilator to act as your reader or scribe. Other reasonable adjustments that we can accommodate include the use of extra time, rest breaks or use of a computer. Please provide us with any reasonable adjustment information when you complete the Exam hosting service form.
- Check with your ‘home’ institution that you are eligible to take your exam at an alternative venue.
- Complete the Exam hosting service form with as much detail as possible.
- We will contact your ‘home’ institution to arrange your exam and safe receipt of the examination paper.
- A member of the Exams team will contact you to confirm availability and send you the link to pay the fee.
- On the day of your exam, go to the main reception in the Waterfront Building at least 15 minutes prior to the start time and ask for the Exams team. Please remember to bring your ID badge and any stationery with you.
- After the exam, we will return your exam paper to your institution.
GCSEs and A-levels
The University of Suffolk is not a registered exam centre for GCSEs and A-Levels and so we are unable to host these types of exams.
Please contact a member of the Exams team either by e-mail email@example.com or telephone 01473 338432.