What is EIRA?
EIRA stands for Enabling Innovation: Research to Application and is a project awarded by Research England to help businesses in the region grow and develop through the provision of intervention. The project is due to last until March 2021 and is linked with 7 different universities and colleges in the local area including Suffolk. The primary aim of the project is to stimulate economic activities within the area focusing on AI, Biotechnology and Digital and Creative industries.
How can my business benefit from EIRA?
EIRA have just launched their EIRA Enabling Recovery Innovation Voucher Fund
This fund will be open to SME businesses who want to access academic expertise to respond to the coronavirus pandemic, or to enable their recovery and overcome current business challenges caused by Covid-19.
The scheme is very similar to the existing Innovation Voucher scheme in that businesses can apply for up to £6,000 for projects worth £7,500. EIRA will fund 80% of the total value of the project, with businesses funding the remaining 20%. Applications are welcomed from SME businesses based within EIRA’s geographical remit of the East of England and who require academic expertise to explore innovative solutions and ideas. Projects must be completed by March 2021.
The new fund is open now and will close at midday on 30 October.
There are several interventions that are associated with the EIRA grant and they are:
- Innovation vouchers - for projects up to £7,500 which is 20% match funded
- Hot House Events - depending on government advice these could be virtual or at Adastral Park
- Innovation Internships - SME focused internships which currently are being delivered virtually.
We also offer opportunities for students and recent graduates from EIRA partner institutions, including:
- Business consultancy through the iTeams* programme
- Innovation internships
Information about the EIRA project.
Get in Touch
If you would like to have a chat about the EIRA programme and find out more about how linking up with the University of Suffolk can help you, please get in touch with our University’s Knowledge Exchange Team via email or book onto one of our #TogetherWithBusiness sessions.
*Originating at MIT and first implemented by the University of Cambridge in 2006, the i-Teams programme is a great way for you to bring fresh thinking and new ideas to your organisation. By combining a team of interdisciplinary students with industry mentors, participants work together to develop a product solution for issues affecting your business.
Up to £7,500 – 20% match funded
- Consultancy support
- Available for small pieces of development which may lead to large scale collaboration e.g. a Knowledge Transfer Partnership
- Target Businesses: SME
- Please note: Money from voucher is given upon completion of the project
- SME focused internship – giving the graduate an opportunity of an internship within an SME environment : Graduate project hosted by SME
- Central support – comprehensive package of support
- Funded up to 85% of 2019 minimum wage
- 6 - 12 weeks full-time or 12 weeks part-time
- Facilitated workshop collaboration between HEI’S and Businesses