Today I am sharing another easy cake recipe to satisfy your sweet tooth. I made this cake a few weeks ago for my mum's birthday as it is quick and fun to make and can be a lot more thoughtful than buying something from the shop, as you can cater it to your recipients taste! My mum’s favourite is lemon cake and I chose to bake something simple but super yummy! This cake doesn’t require many ingredients and is really light and fluffy on the inside. I made this cake in a loaf form but it can be easily adapted to fit whatever tin shape you have.
- 100ml vegetable oil (plus a little extra to grease the tin)
- 275g self-raising flour
- 200g caster sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 lemon (Use the juice and the zest)
- 150g icing sugar
- 1 lemon (Juice and zest)
1. Preheat the oven and oil the baking tin.
2. Mix the flour, sugar, baking powder and lemon zest together.
3. Add the oil, lemon juice and 150ml water and mix until smooth.
4. Pour mixture into your choice of tin and bake for approx. 25 mins or until a skewer comes out clean.
5. To make the icing add a little lemon juice to the icing sugar and mix until the consistency is as thick or runny as you prefer. If the icing is thicker it will sit better on the cake, I made mine slightly too runny and quite a bit fell off the cake! Decorate with lemon zest if you would like.
So there is my simple lemon cake recipe which is super quick and easy to make and delicious to eat! This was my first time trying an oil based cake recipe and I was really impressed with the finished result.
Let us know of you try the recipe yourself, we would love to see your attempts!