You are here

Brexit Information

The University of Suffolk is a diverse and inclusive University, which welcomes both students and staff from across the globe. As the UK prepares to leave the EU, our European students, partners, and colleagues become even more important to us.

We're proud of our EU student population and are delighted to continue welcoming students from across Europe to join our growing overseas community of students. We value the contributions they make to our university and life on campus, helping to create a diverse and friendly community which makes Suffolk a University of modern times. Post-BREXIT, we will remain an ambitious, outward-looking, university - both in relation to the EU and the wider world.

Our students are at the heart of everything we do at the University of Suffolk and we are committed to their well-being and success. Our home and overseas students learn from each other, gain valuable global networks, and are prepared for an ever-increasing multicultural and international workplace. We will continue to ensure they are able to benefit from such relationships and experiences over the coming years.

Please visit our website for guidance on how to apply, and continue to monitor the Government’s website for updates around what BREXIT means for you.

It is important to remember that during the transition there is no immediate change, and for the UK university sector in particular, programmes such as Erasmus+ will continue as normal during this time. 


Will students from EU member states need a visa to study in the UK?

Students from EU countries (or EEA or Switzerland) will not need a visa if they arrive before 1 January 2021

If you plan to arrive in the UK before this date you’ll need to apply online for the EU Settlement Scheme . The scheme opened on 30 March 2019.

If you’re an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen, you and your family can apply to the EU Settlement Scheme to continue living in the UK after 30 June 2021. If your application is successful, you’ll get either settled or pre-settled status.

EU, EEA, and Swiss citizens who move to the UK after 23:00 on 31 December 2020 will need to apply through the new Student Route visa that  the UK government is introducing a  to replace the current Tier 4 student visa. This new route will be available to apply for from the 5 October 2020 and will apply to students planning to travel to the UK for study commencing in 2021. More information on this route will be provided and updated here as we learn of it.

To help prepare EU students that will need to apply through the Student Route, the UK Government has prepared tailored guidance.

The UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) have issued advice for EU students on Brexit and what it means for students and their family. You can read the latest news on the UKCISA website.

You can find additional information on the Universities UK website.

Irish Nationals

Irish citizens will continue to have the right to live in the UK, this will not change after the UK has left the EU and you will not need to apply to the settlement scheme.


BREXIT and Tuition Fees

The UK Government has confirmed that EU students commencing their studies in 2020/21 will continue to have ‘Home’ fee status and pay fees at the home rate for the duration of their course. This also applies to current students.

Following the UK’s departure from the EU, the UK Government announced on 23 June 2020 that EU, other EEA and Swiss nationals will no longer be eligible for home fee status nor undergraduate, postgraduate and advanced learner financial support from Student Finance England for courses starting in academic year 2021/22. This change will also apply to funding for apprenticeships.

At the University of Suffolk, we would like to support our EU applicants through this transition. From 2021, the University of Suffolk will offer a range of EU Scholarships providing alternative financial support in the absence of student loans. Please see our EU Tuition fees page for more information on this. 

Other useful links:

If you would like to discuss this with an advisor at the University, please contact: