Professor Mohamed Abdel-Maguid
Visiting Professor of Smart Systems
- School of Technology, Business and Arts
Professor Abdel-Maguid is a professional engineer, entrepreneur and a research and enterprise focused Academic, with 25 years of experience in both business and academia. He joined the University in 2012 as the Founding Professor of the then School of Science, Technology and Engineering and Professor of Smart Systems.
Mohamed is a strong advocate of environments and schemes that promote and nurture innovation, knowledge exchange, and business-university collaborations. Since joining the University of Suffolk in 2012, he has been at the forefront of many regional innovation and STEM skills initiatives and projects, where he generated over £12 million of external income to the University. The New Anglia Digital Skills and Innovation Accelerator, a collaborative project with BT Group, that aims to integrate high-end skills and academic research within the ecosystem of Adastral Park; the Ipswich Waterfront Innovation Centre (IWIC); the STEM centre and the 3D productivity centre at the University of Suffolk are among his projects.
Mohamed is an entrepreneurial academic, with an excellent international research and publication record. He supervised over twenty-five postgraduate students, at masters and doctoral levels to successful completion; served as doctoral examiner and contributed to the organisation of a number of international conferences as well as regularly refereeing for prestigious technical journals. Among Mohamed’s former students are Professors, Heads of Departments and executive level professionals. His multidisciplinary expertise spans the broad spectrum of Digital Technologies with core competencies in data acquisition, intelligent multimodal signal processing, telecommunications and embedded systems, where he is actively engaged with research and training.
Professor Abdel-Maguid held a number of senior positions, both in the UK and internationally and served as an advisor for a number of companies and government organisations. These included, the Ministry of Health in Egypt, where he advised on the development of telemedicine initiatives, the Ministry of Transport in Egypt advising on the use of Smart Technologies to improve road safety and, during his term at CIISS, advised the Tanzania Revenue Authority (TRA) on tax fraud detection using intelligent data analysis techniques.
Mohamed holds a B.Eng. in Electronics and Telecommunications (Distinction), MSc. in Telecommunications Engineering (Distinction) and a PhD in Electronic Engineering (Image and Video Processing). He is a Fellow of the Chartered Management Institute (FCMI), Fellow of the Institute of Innovation and Knowledge Exchange (FIKE), Senior Member of the IEEE (SMIEEE), the ESE and a co-opted member of the BiNDT.
Key Professional Qualifications and Membership
- FIKE: Fellow of the Institute of Innovation and Knowledge Exchange
- FCMI: Fellow of the Chartered Management Institute
- SMIEEE: Senior Member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers
- CCAI, Cisco Professional Certification
- MPMI, Member of the Project Management Institute
- MIET, Member of the Institution of Engineering and Technology
- Co-opted member of the British Institute of Non-Destructive Testing & Member of the optical condition monitoring Special Interest Group
- PhD Supervision training programme, Staffordshire University
- PhD. Electronic Engineering, Staffordshire University
Thesis title “Application of Finite State Methods to Object based Coding and Compressed Domain Processing”
- MSc Telecommunications, AAST, EGYPT - Cumulative grade: Distinction (96%)
Thesis title “Statistical characterization of variable bit rate MPEG encoded video streams”
- B.Eng. Electronics and Telecommunications (Marine Electronics), AAST, Egypt.
Cumulative grade: Distinction (94.75%) – Rank: Top of Class
My research interests are focused on two strands. The first strand focuses on investigating new algorithms and techniques to underpin the development of multimodal signal processing and communication systems (unified, ubiquitous, cognitive, cooperative). The second strand is concerned with Digital Transformation and the development of Smart Systems as the main building blocks of Future Cities and Smart Connected Rural Communities. I am also interested in technology assisted learning and multimedia rich e-learning environments. I am particularly interested in the application of virtual reality and serious gaming to education and scenario based training among other application domains.
Awards and Honours
- The UHNS ‘Clinical Innovation’ award in 2010 (Winner)
- Lord Stafford Award ‘Impact through Innovation’ in 2009 (Winner)
- The AWM ICT Excellence Awards for ‘Best Innovative Product’ category in 2009 (Finalist)
- The AWM ICT Excellence Awards for ‘Best Knowledge Transfer Project’ category in 2009 (Finalist)
- The AWM ICT Excellence Awards for ‘Best Knowledge Transfer Project’ category in 2009 (Finalist)
- Recognition of Excellence Award in 1994, EW Division, Egyptian Armed Forces, Egypt.
- Prof ‘M. El-sayed’ prize for outstanding achievement in telecommunications in 1992, AAST, Egypt
Doctoral Research Projects
- Automated Assignment of Severity Rating to Indecent Multimedia
- Optimised Detection Model for Cooperative Wireless Sensor Networks
- Radio Resource Sharing Strategy within Cognitive Radio Network for Wireless Sensing Applications
- Collaborative Sensing and Communication Schemes for Cooperative Wireless Sensor Networks
- Context Aware Driver Eye Gesture Analysis for Driver Assistance System
- Bolisetti, S.K. and Patwary, Mohammad and Abdel-Maguid, Mohamed (2017) RF Sensing Based Target Detector for Smart Sensing Within Internet of Things in Harsh Sensing Environments. IEEE ACCESS, 5. pp. 13346-13363. ISSN 2169-3536
- Naeem, Muhammad and Patwary, Mohammad and Abdel-Maguid, Mohamed (2017) Universal and Dynamic Clustering Scheme for Energy Constrained Cooperative Wireless Sensor Networks. IEEE ACCESS. ISSN 2169-3536
- Patwary, Mohammad and Sharma, Shree and Abdel-Maguid, Mohamed and Alhameed, R.A. and Noras, J. and Chatzinotas, Symeon and Ottersten, Bjorn and Chen, Y. (2016) Universal Intelligent Small Cell (UnISCell) for next generation cellular networks. Digital Communications and Networks, special issue on 5G, wireless networks 2 (4). pp. 167-174. ISSN 2352-8648
- Abozariba, Raouf and Patwary, Mohammad and Soliman, Abdel-Hamid and Abdel-Maguid, Mohamed (2016) On the location-aware cooperative spectrum sensing in urban environment. Jordanian Journal of Computers and Information Technology, 2 (2). pp. 119-136. ISSN 2413-9351
- Bolisetti, Siva Karteek and Patwary, Mohammad and Ahmed, Khazwa and Soliman, Abdel-Hamid and Abdel-Maguid, Mohamed (2015) Subspace Compressive GLRT Detector for MIMO Radar in the Presence of Clutter. The Scientific World Journal. pp. 1-8. ISSN 2356-6140
- Naeem, Muhammad and Patwary, Mohammad and Soliman, Abdel-Hamid and Abdel-Maguid, Mohamed (2014) Cooperative transmission schemes for energy efficient collaborative wireless sensor networks. IET Science, Measurement and Technology, 8 (6). pp. 391-398. ISSN 1751-8822
- Appana, Sireesha and Patwary, Mohammad and Soliman, Abdel-Hamid and Abdel-Maguid, Mohamed (2014) Diversity Block Code: A Trade-off for Multiplexing and Diversity Gains. Journal of Applied Sciences, 14 (21). pp. 2857-2861. ISSN 1812-5654
- Sharma, Shree and Patwary, Mohammad and Abdel-Maguid, Mohamed (2014) Enhanced information throughput in multiple input multiple output orthogonal frequency division multiplexing based systems using fractional sampling and iterative signal processing. TRANSACTIONS ON EMERGING TELECOMMUNICATIONS TECHNOLOGIES, 25 (12). pp. 1208-1218. ISSN 2161-3915
- Naeem, Muhammad and Patwary, Mohammad and Soliman, Abdel-Hamid and Abdel-Maguid, Mohamed (2014) Tighter Receiver Performance Lower Bound for MIMO Wireless Communication Systems. Journal of Applied Sciences, 14 (1). pp. 95-100. ISSN 1812-5654
- Mangera A, Marzo A, Heron N, Fernando D, Hameed K, Soliman AH, Bradley M, Hosking I, Abdel-Maguid M, Levermore M, Tindale WB & Chapple C (2014) Development of two electronic bladder diaries: a patient and healthcare professionals pilot study.. Neurourol Urodyn, 33(7), 1101-1109
- Shree K. Sharma, Mohammad Patwary, Mohamed Abdel-Maguid, “Spectral Efficient Compressive Transmission Framework for Wireless Communication Systems,” IET Signal processing, vol. 7, Issue 7, Page(s): 558 – 564, Sep. 2013.
- Ayesha Mahmud, Christine Kettle, Debra Bick, Claire Rowley, Trishna Rathod, John Belcher, Mohamed M Abdel-Maguid, Khaled M K Ismail, "The development and validation of an internet-based training package for the management of perineal trauma following childbirth: MarternityPEARLS," Postgraduate Medical Journal (PMJ), 10.1136/postgradmedj-2012-131491.
- F Masieri, Schofield, Velloso, Cadossi, Setti and M Abdel-Maguid, “PULSED ELECTROMAGNETIC FIELDS ENHANCE METABOLIC ACTIVITY AND MYOTUBE FORMATION IN AN IN VITRO MODEL OF MYOBLASTS,” World Congress on Osteoarthritis, United Kingdom April 26 – 29, 2018 (accepted).
- Chris Janes, Thomas Andrews, Mohamed Abdel-Maguid, “Designing An Augmented Reality Smartphone Application For The Enhancement Of Asthma Care Education,” International Conference on Interactive Mobile Communication Technologies and Learning (IMCL2017), Greece 30 Nov-1 Dec 2017
- Bolisetti, S.K. and Sharma, M. and Patwary, Mohammad and Soliman, Abdel-Hamid and Benkhelifa, E. and Maguid, M. (2017) Energy Efficient Target Detection Through Waveform Selection for Multi-Sensor RF Sensing Based Internet of Things. In: 2017 10th IFIP Wireless and Mobile Networking Conference (WMNC), 25-27 September, Valencia.
- Raouf Abozariba, Mohammad Patwary, Abdel-Hamid Soliman and Mohamed Abdel-Maguid “Location-aware cooperative spectrum sensing within cognitive radio networks”, IEEE Jordan Conference on Applied Electrical Engineering and Computing Technologies (AEECT), 2015, pp. 1-7.
- Sardar Muhammad Gulfam, Syed Junaid Nawaz, Mohammad N. Patwary, and Mohamed Abdel-Maguid, “On the Spatial Characterization of 3-D Air-to-Ground Radio Communication Channels,” IEEE International Conference on Communications (IEEE ICC 2015), 8-12 June 2015, London, UK.
- Abrar Ahmed, Syed Junaid Nawaz, Noor M. Khan, Mohammad N. Patwary, and Mohamed Abdel-Maguid, “Angular Characteristics of a Unified 3-D Scattering Model for Emerging Cellular Networks ,” IEEE International Conference on Communications (IEEE ICC 2015), 8-12 June 2015, London, UK.
- Shree Krishna Sharma, Mohammad Patwary, Symeon Chatzinotas, Bj¨orn Ottersten, and Mohamed Abdel-Maguid, “Repeater for 5G Wireless: A Complementary Contender for Spectrum Sensing Intelligence,” IEEE International Conference on Communications (IEEE ICC 2015), 8-12 June 2015, London, UK.
- Elhadj Benkhelifa, Mohamed Abdel-Maguid, Stanley Ewenike and David D. Heatley,”The Internet of Things: the Eco-System for Sustainable Growth,” ACS/IEEE International Conference on Computer Systems and Applications (AICCSA' 2014), Qatar.
- Shree Krishna Sharma, Mohammad Patwary, Mohamed Abdel-Maguid, “Enhanced Information Throughput in MIMO-OFDM based systems using Fractional Sampling and Iterative Signal Processing,” Transactions on Emerging Telecommunications Technologies - European Transactions on Telecommunications (ETT), John Wiley & Sons, Inc., ISSN: 1124-318X.
- Ayesha Mahmud, Christine Kettle, Debra Bick, Claire Rowley, Trishna Rathod, John Belcher, Mohamed M Abdelmaguid, Khaled M K Ismail, “The development and validation of an internet-based training package for the management of perineal trauma following childbirth: MaternityPEARLS,” Postgraduate Medical Journal (PMJ), 10.1136/postgradmedj-2012-131491
- Mangera A, Marzo A, Heron N, Fernando D, Abdel-Maguid M M, Hameed K, Soliman A, Bradley M, Hosking I, Chapple C, '"Development And Assessment of Two Electronic Bladder Diaries; A Pilot Study," International Continence Society (ICS), China 15-19 Oct. 2012.